Peace sign designer honoured

IssueDecember 2018 - January 2019
PHOTO: Holtom family
News by PN staff

Image

PHOTO: Holtom family

On 6 October, a plaque was put up at 3 Blackstock Road, North London, to honour the designer of the peace symbol, Gerald Holtom. It was there, in the PN office, in February 1958, that Gerald first presented sketches for the symbol to PN editor Hugh Brock and other organisers of the Direct Action Committee. They accepted the design as the theme for the first Aldermaston march for nuclear disarmament.