Arrested for peace!
Iraq war resistance (plus the usual suspects...)
Jack and Felice Cohen-Joppa
More than 7,500 arrests were reported in the US alone during anti-war protests between November 2002 and mid-April, 2003. The latest edition of the Nuclear Resister newsletter chronicles this slice of recent anti-war activism that included more than 300 actions in at least 115 cities and towns in 35 US states.
Hundreds of people were jailed from overnight to six months, and updated names and addresses of current prisoners for peace are available from firstname.lastname@example.org, and soon at http://www.nonviolence.org/nukeresister
Well before US and British troops arrived in Iraq, millions of people were participating in an unprecedented multitude of marches, rallies and protests across the globe. Also widespread were acts of nonviolent civil disobedience in opposition to war. A deeply held conviction against military action in Iraq was shared by many people who had never protested before, and found themselves moved to engage in “extra-legal” activities for which they were arrested and hauled off to court and sometimes prison.
Please give the anti-war prisoners listed below your support Key:
Nuclear Resisters (US)
- John LaForge (60 days - in 4/25/03).
- Jane Hosking (60 days - in 4/25/03). Dane County Jail, 115 W Doty St, Madison, WI 53703, USA. (Trespass at Project ELF nuclear submarine antenna, 5/10/03.)
- William Streit #03809-052 (six months). FDC, POB 560, Philadelphia, PA 19105, USA. (In transit to FCI Fort Dix, POB 7000, Fort Dix, NJ 08640, USA.)
- Steve Woolford (six months). l Steve Baggarly (six months). Northern Neck Regional Jail, POB 1090, 3908 Richmond Rd, Warsaw, VA 22572, USA. (Marking the Pentagon with blood, 12/30/02 - in 3/11/03.)
- Helen Woodson #03231-045 (27 years). FMC Carswell, Max Unit, POB 27137, Ft Worth, TX 76127, USA. (Silo Pruning Hooks direct disarmament action, 11/13/84).
- Leonard Peltier #89637-132 (life). POB 1000, Leavenworth, KS 66048, USA. (Native American political prisoner.)
Nuclear Resisters (RoW)
- Dr Erika Drees (6-10 weeks - in 5/7/03). Am Kirchtor 20, 06108 Halle, Germany.
- Dr Wolfgang Sternstein (6-10 weeks - in 5/7/03). Schloss 1, 72101 Rottenburg, Germany. (Fence-cutting at Buechel air base to conduct citizen weapons' inspection.)
- Ulla Roder HMP Corton Vale, Stirling FK9 5NY, Scotland. (Damaging British Tornado warplane, RAF Leuchars, 3/12/03 - awaiting trial.)
- Philip Pritchard JT 5131 (denied bail).
- Toby Olditch JT 5132 (denied bail). HMP Gloucester, Barracks Square, Gloucester GL1 2JN, Britain. (Trespass with intent to damage B-52s, USAF Fairford 3/18/03 - trial May 30.)
- Mordechai Vanunu (18 years - out 4/04). Ashkelon Prison, Ashkelon, Israel. (Nuclear whistleblower convicted of espionage and treason - kidnapped by Israeli agents, 9/30/86.)
- Yuri I Bandazhevsky (8 years - in 6/01). Prison Minsk, ul Kavarijskaya 36, POB 36 K, Minsk, 220600, Belarus. (Chernobyl researcher and whistleblower fraudulently convicted of corruption, 6/01.)
Anti-war related activities
- Robert Jefferson Dietrich #81196-012. MDC-LA, POB 1500, Los Angeles, CA 90053- 1500, USA. (Attempted exorcism inside Los Angeles Federal Building, 3/12/03 - refused bail conditions, awaiting trial.)
- David Gardner #766-7967 (45 days - in 4/23/03).
- Jim Parkhurst #766-7966 (45 days - in 4/23/03). POB 86164, Terminal Annex, Los Angeles, CA 90086-0164, USA.
- Catherine Morris (45 days - in 5/1/03).
- Joyce Parkhurst (45 days - in 5/1/03).
- Martha Scarborough (45 days - in 5/1/03). c/o Los Angeles Catholic Worker, 632 N Brittania St, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA. (Ash Wednesday blockade of intersection at downtown Los Angeles federal building, 3/5/03.)
- Joel Kilgour (30 days - in 5/12/03). St Louis County Jail, 4334 Haines Road, Duluth, MN 55811, USA. (“Littering” recruiting centre during war memorial blockade, 12/20/02.)
- Laro Nicol #80430008 (awaiting trial). CADC, POB 6300, Florence, AZ 85232, USA. (Firearms and explosives charges against antiwar and human rights activist - self-surrender 3/5/03.)
School of the Americas
More than 30 activists are currently in prison for “crossing the line” at the SOA. They would all love your support. Please visit http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=127for an up-todate list of prisoners and their addresses.
Ismael Guadalupe Torres #21644- 069 (140 days - out 6/10/03). MDC Guaynabo, POB 2147, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00922-2147. (Occupying the Navy bombing range on Vieques Island, Puerto Rico, 1/03.)