Welcome to Peace News, the newspaper for the UK grassroots peace and justice movement. We seek to oppose all forms of violence, and to create positive change based on cooperation and responsibility. See more
"Peace News has compiled an exemplary record... its tasks have never been more critically important than they are today." Noam Chomsky
Information and advice
SIPRI - Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
This site contains online books along with lectures and conferences available (all in PDF format) and a lot of information to wade through. It is worth bearing in mind that this website is mainly aimed at academic research. There are however less monolithic texts on the website in the form of “what's new?” which provides news updates not generally found in the mainstream media.
The databases, statistical information and current research area links are valuable tools for peace activists as they present useful information, such as an extensive list of “whose sold arms to who” and “who signed what treaty”.
Other features include; extensive web links, book reviews, video footage and an internal search engine, which all make this site a useful tool for peace activists.
- Amnesty International - Website of the AI international secretariat covers arms trading in areas of conflict and regimes linked to human rights violations. http://www.amnesty.org/
- Australian Industry Group Defence Council - Promotes defence industries and provides links to defence ministries around the world. Contact: GPO Box 817, Canberra 2601, Australia http://www.aigroup.asn.au/ dmcindex.html Campaign Against Arms Trade (Australia) http://www.acaat.org/
- Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers - Six NGOs together provide a website giving questions and answers, campaigns and future events information. Contact: PO BOX 22696, London N4 3ZJ, Britain. http://www.child-soldiers.org/
- UK Defence Manufacturers Association (DMA) - offers diary and topical issues in British arms manufacturing with links to armed services and the UK equipment catalogue (BDEC). Contact: Marlborough House, Headley Road, Grayshott GU26 6LG, Britain. http://the-dma.org.uk/
- Defence Systems Daily - Internet based defence and aerospace daily news reports with free coverage of every region of the world. http://defence-data.com/
- Disarm DSEi 2003 - Website dedicated to campaigners aiming to close down Europe's largest arms fair. http://www.dsei.org/
- Economists Allied for Arms Reduction (ECAAR) - promote objective economic analysis and appropriate action on global issues relating to peace, security and the world economy. Contact: 39E Central Avenue-Suite One, Pearl River, NY 10965, USA. http://www.ecaar.org/
- Federation of American Scientists (FAS) - Arms Sales Monitoring Project - Calls for “restraint” in arms sales and runs one of the leading internet sites with descriptions and pictures of weapons systems, and the trade trouble-spots. Contact: 1717 K Street NW-Suite 209, Washington, DC 20036, USA. http://www.fas.org/asmp/
- Human Rights Watch - In depth reports about the human right situations which involve many references to the trade. http://hrw.org/arms/
- International Action Network on Small Arms Transfers (IANSA) - An international network of NGOs working to prevent the increase and misuse of small arms. Contact: PO Box 422, London WC1E 7BS, Britain. http://www.iansa.org/
- Janes' Defence - Subscriber based information on military affairs and arms sales, headlines and useful stand firsts given for non-subscribers on the website. You can buy Janes' Defence Weekly in magazine edition. http://janes.com/defence/
- Norwegian Initiative on Small Arms Transfers (NISAT) - The most in-depth website with news reports from most countries about small arms issues. http://nisat.org United Nations, Department for Disarmament Affairs - New York and Geneva-based department looking at key themes of disarmament such as WMD, landmines, small and conventional arms. http://disarmament.un.org/